Skip to main content

My Top Audiobook Narrators

Everyone has their own preferences and everyone looks for something a little different in what they read. Sometimes, I need a break from actually reading books; in these moments I turn to Audiobooks. Audiobooks have become my best friends during reading slumps, road trips, and even filing room work. There are days when I spend hours working in a filing room and more often than not, I have an Audiobook going to help keep me motivated! For example, yesterday I had an early morning road trip, so I decided to checkout a book from my local library (coincidentally that narrator will be on this list as well).

1.Tim Curry

I first found a Tim Curry narration by complete accident. My Dad and I were road tripping to visit my sister who was living in Ohio at the time; it was a 12-hour drive for us. My Dad doesn't read anything besides car manuals and the occasional instruction guide. I picked up a light read series: "A Series of Unfortunate Events" by Lemony Snickett. At the time I was still new to Audiobooks and didn't realize there were different narrators for the same book occasionally. The first three books we had Tim Curry narrating. My Dad actually lectured me for leaving him with a cliffhanger! Tim Curry was able to keep him interested in the book, which is why he is listed as the #1 narrator. When we got to a version where it was read by the author my Dad lost all interest. I will forever appreciate Tim Curry for that awesome moment where I had my Dad interested in a book!

2.  Anna Acton

 Anna Acton was my first introduction to Audiobooks. I wanted to read "Me Before You" by Jojo Moyes before I saw the movie when it was in theaters in 2016. The hold list was ridiculously long, so I placed both the audio and hard copy on hold. I received the audio version first. Anna had me crying listening to this book. The book is extremely well-written, but Acton brought Louisa and the rest of the characters to life. I needed wine and chocolate to get through it. Another Dad story: when the theatrical trailer was on TV, he looked at me and said, " That's that damn book isn't it?" I talked about it so much he instantly knew!

3.  Mary Robinette Kowal

This was another accidental find. "Rosemary and Rue" by Seanan McGuire was the chosen book for my library's Geek Out! book club. The only copy left was on CD. I checked it out and listened in my car. Kowal brought October Daye to life. I could just picture every scene in my head. I think she covered the sassiness of the character perfectly. I ended up listening to the next nine books on audio! Then my library couldn't get the rest. 😢 

4.  Jenna Lamia, Bahni Turpin, Octavia Spencer, and Cassandra Campbell

I wasn't sure how to list this one. This was a full cast. "The Help" by Kathryn Stockett is an Audiobook that is 100% worth listening to! This was an amazing listen and it was very pleasant on the ears. Prior to this I had only ever watched the movie, but "The Help" was listed on GoodReads as one of the best narrated books and I am beyond glad I gave it a chance!

5. Maya Angelou

"I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings" written and narrated by Maya Angelou.  This is the book that I listened to while road. There's only 3 discs, so it's nice and short. My sister suggested listening to a Maya Angelou narration and since I was looking for a shorter audio, the road trip seemed like the perfect time! I can't wait to finish it! There really is no good way to describe how amazing she is! 

6. Dan Stevens

 Every fiction fan knows this narrator, I think. Adding him to the list was a given. Dan Stevens narrated the US versions of "Harry Potter." I feel the need to include him because he allowed me to see the Wizarding World through a whole new lens. I've read the books hundreds of times, but having them read to me was something magical and new. I intend to find some other books he narrated, so I can try to form a judgement that's not biased by my love of the Wizarding World.

 

These are my top 6, so far. I'm sure as I listen to more Audiobooks I'll end up with a larger list and be able to make the list a top 10 with some honorary mentions. I've started looking for different actors/actresses to listen to since many have the vocal trainings and I expect great things from them. I'm keeping my mind open and listening to a variety and sometimes I just really want to read a specific book and the audio version is the first available. As I come across greater ones, I'll be sure to review them!

 

Yesterday I had some time to kill while waiting for my pup to finish her spaying appointment (that's why I road-tripped). I ended up finding this beautiful location to sit down and read while trying to turn around. Lovely place and very peaceful! I managed to finish yet another book while sitting there! Coffee, a good book, and nature: that's what I call a perfect morning!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes

Sorry for the delay my lovely readers! I planned to read the entire book in one or two readings, but life had other plans for me this last week. Between yesterday and today I did read about 6 hours worth (with distractions) while playing catch up! As promised though I have provided a lovely, fairly short review. The backstory of Coriolanuns Snow was intriguing. I think everyone that loved "The Hunger Games" will enjoy reading "The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes." There are a lot of Easter eggs for the later books that were super fun to look for. My favorite part was spotting all the different surnames that come up later in the series. Suzanne Collins does a wonderful job of building upon the character of Snow that we all love and hate. Without giving details or large spoilers I'll share a few more minor things we learn. We learn how the Hunger Games actually started then evolved and where Snow's affinity for using poison comes from. I'm afraid ther

August Reading Roulette and Books Read

August Reading List  “Blueberry Muffin Murder” - Joanne Fluke “Things We Didn’t Talk About When I was a Girl” - Jeannie Vanasco “The Body Keeps the Score” - Bessel van der Kolk “Letting Go: A Girl’s Guide to Breaking Free of Stress...” - Christine Fonseca “The Darwin Affair” - Tim Mason ( audiobook ) “The 5 Love Languages” - Gary Chapman  “The Art of Simple Living” - Shunmyo Masuno “All Systems Red” - Martha Wells “I know Why the Caged Bird Sings”- Maya Angelou ( audiobook ) Monthly Total: 9 Total Read: 83 Total with Extra Credit: 105 2020 GOAL ACCOMPLISHED!!!! 🎉 This month's reading list consisted of a lot of nonfiction and memoirs. I feel the need to break this down a little more. 6 of the 9 books read this month were in the nonfiction category. The three books that were fictional are: "Blueberry Muffin Murder," "The Darwin Affair," and "All Systems Red." As you can read in an earlier blog post, "Things We Didn't Talk About When I Was a Gir

"Things We Didn't Talk About When I Was A Girl"

  Jeannie Vanasco has created a work of genius with this memoir. "Things We Didn't Talk About When I Was a Girl" could be seen as a new direction for the #MeToo movement. Vanasco's memoir addresses her confusion regarding a sexual assault from high school by her best friend. Throughout the book it questions 'if good people can do bad things or if there are just bad people?' Vanasco went a step further than writing about her assault, she interviewed the man who raped her, whom she refers to as Mark in this book. The reader gets a full view of Jeannie's and Mark's interactions since Vanasco includes transcripts of their phone calls and the eventual visit. It is a harrowing and eye-opening experience. There is a real feel to the book that some sexual assault memoirs lack; it seems disjointed just because you get to see firsthand all of Vanasco's thoughts. Survivors will feel validated knowing they aren't alone with the way their brain can go after