Skip to main content

Great Reading Challenge of 2020

Every year my local library hosts a Great Reading Challenge that lasts throughout the year. We are given a list of categories to attempt to fill plus bonus activities. To participate you must get at least 18 books read in a year. The highest level is over 100 or more books. My goal this year has been to hit the 100 mark. Thanks to COVID-19 I've already reached around 70 books read. One of the fun bonuses this year is called Reading Roulette. Every month the librarians will draw a random category and if you read a book that fits that criteria it will count as two books read. So far, my library has had:

  1. January: Read a book that is shorter than 200 Pages
  2. February: Read a Survival Story
  3. March: Read a book written by an artist more famous for another medium
  4. April: Read a book by an author who has published more than 20 books
  5. May: Read a book with a weather related word in the title

It's a fun little twist on the categories and creates an extra little challenge. Sometimes, I can easily fit the book I'm reading into the category and other times (like this month) it will take a little more digging. I'll do some posts specially dedicated to the bonus challenges from past months just because I think they deserve just as much love as my future reads.

I have done monthly updates on my Facebook page for the reading challenge, but I realized I wanted to do more, hence this blog. All of my Facebook posts include a highlight of a book or two, but who cares on Facebook? If someone is dedicated in following what I read or in listening to my thoughts on books it would be easier to send them here. I'm still going to give updates because it helps keep me accountable, but I find I have a lot more to say dedicated to books and I want a separate area just for that. So, welcome to "The Book Nook" by CC-Liz!*


*For those of you who don't know me personally: CC-Liz was my radio call name in college and I've always loved it. I figured it could make a come back in my writing world as well. 😊

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hogwarts will always be there to welcome you home

Hogwarts will always be there to welcome you home. For years, I have used the Harry Potter series as an escape from reality. I have read them in every possible medium I can understand, seen all the movies, gone to conventions, and been to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter at Universal Orlando Florida. Thanks to COVID-19 JK Rowling released "The Philosopher's Stone," narrated by Stephen Fry. I've been meaning to listen to it, but I have been 'too busy.' Now, I'm wondering if the world just knew I would need something new (to me) related to Harry Potter now. I re-entered the magical world last night to help me escape and cope with reality. This photo is my friend Dan. He's been missing since October 21, 2019. There have been multiple searches and locating him has been a community wide effort. I was highly involved, joining searches, hanging flyers, and reaching out to any possible business to share his poster. This last Saturday May, 16, 2020...

2020 Can Go F*ck Itself! - Reading Year in Review

2020 was a year of reading and not socializing. You would think since I was stuck between home and work I would have done a better job updating this site, but things just failed. THAT is part of the reason this post is titled how it is. Honestly, 2020 was an AMAZING year for reading. I just failed at sharing about it. I finally reached my 100 books read goal for the Great Reading Challenge at the library. I am officially a Diamond Level reader. I even  managed to go above that mark and it was a total of 125 books read this year, including the extra credit points! I completed every challenge the library offered except two of them. I missed the November Reading Roulette Challenge and one challenge worth extra points, which was 'Read Two Classic Novels.' The other HUGE goal I hit was becoming my library's Reader of the Month. I was the Reader of the Month in November. They included almost my ENTIRE responses and a very large chunk of my suggested reading list. You can check ou...

August Reading Roulette and Books Read

August Reading List  “Blueberry Muffin Murder” - Joanne Fluke “Things We Didn’t Talk About When I was a Girl” - Jeannie Vanasco “The Body Keeps the Score” - Bessel van der Kolk “Letting Go: A Girl’s Guide to Breaking Free of Stress...” - Christine Fonseca “The Darwin Affair” - Tim Mason ( audiobook ) “The 5 Love Languages” - Gary Chapman  “The Art of Simple Living” - Shunmyo Masuno “All Systems Red” - Martha Wells “I know Why the Caged Bird Sings”- Maya Angelou ( audiobook ) Monthly Total: 9 Total Read: 83 Total with Extra Credit: 105 2020 GOAL ACCOMPLISHED!!!! 🎉 This month's reading list consisted of a lot of nonfiction and memoirs. I feel the need to break this down a little more. 6 of the 9 books read this month were in the nonfiction category. The three books that were fictional are: "Blueberry Muffin Murder," "The Darwin Affair," and "All Systems Red." As you can read in an earlier blog post, "Things We Didn't Talk About When I Was a Gir...