Skip to main content

Reflections on "Letters to a Young Feminist"

"Letters to a Young Feminist" by Phyllis Chesler is a short nonfiction book of feminist essays. I feel like it is less of a book to review and more of a book to reflect upon. I have been slowly reading it, only a couple of essays a day. Today, I came across this line, "It is often women, worldwide, who shame other women into obedience." This came from an essay entitled 'We Need a Feminist Continent.' This statement was focusing on extreme cases such as mothers mutilated their daughter's genitals or women who banish women that were raped. This forced me to bring this discussion closer to home. I started thinking about American beauty culture. We, as women, shame other women for any perceived physical flaw. Here is where it can be easily debated: it's shaming women into obedience to corporations making money on diets, beauty products, etc. It really hit home because I remember overhearing a girl at the dance club last year making fun of the performer's cellulite. They didn't know each other at all, but this girl shamed the performer in all of her friends' eyes.

My goal isn't to make this a political blog, which is why I won't go in depth on this book. Phyllis Chesler can be described as an extremist feminist. There are some points that different feminist sects would find to outrageous to even consider, wile some perfectly align. The idea of reading this would be to broaden your horizons. Read something that doesn't entirely fit your own view. There were many times I found myself agreeing with what I read and many times I found myself shaking my head as well. I think the most fascinating aspect was the broad amount of feminist writers Chesler referenced. Her bibliography is broken down by different years of feminism. Her bibliography was fascinating to me after she referenced Emma Goldman. Emma Goldman is a little known name that I never heard before a game-style class in college called Greenwich Village. We were all different people and Emma Goldman was my character, so it struck a nice chord for me. I found myself going back down the suffrage rabbit hole after hearing her name. Chesler's bibliography gives plenty of options for someone wanting to read on their own and help form their own opinions. I believe that is an important strong point whenever you compile a book of essays on specific topics.

As an after note/side thought: I did get a kick out of the amount of times Chesler referenced herself. After a quick Google search I realized she referenced almost every singe book she's ever published!

Just for fun I"m including "Sister Suffragette" from Mary Poppins since this book made me think of it.*



*I own zero rights to this song or video. Thank you Mr. Disney for this lovely tune.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes

Sorry for the delay my lovely readers! I planned to read the entire book in one or two readings, but life had other plans for me this last week. Between yesterday and today I did read about 6 hours worth (with distractions) while playing catch up! As promised though I have provided a lovely, fairly short review. The backstory of Coriolanuns Snow was intriguing. I think everyone that loved "The Hunger Games" will enjoy reading "The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes." There are a lot of Easter eggs for the later books that were super fun to look for. My favorite part was spotting all the different surnames that come up later in the series. Suzanne Collins does a wonderful job of building upon the character of Snow that we all love and hate. Without giving details or large spoilers I'll share a few more minor things we learn. We learn how the Hunger Games actually started then evolved and where Snow's affinity for using poison comes from. I'm afraid ther

August Reading Roulette and Books Read

August Reading List  “Blueberry Muffin Murder” - Joanne Fluke “Things We Didn’t Talk About When I was a Girl” - Jeannie Vanasco “The Body Keeps the Score” - Bessel van der Kolk “Letting Go: A Girl’s Guide to Breaking Free of Stress...” - Christine Fonseca “The Darwin Affair” - Tim Mason ( audiobook ) “The 5 Love Languages” - Gary Chapman  “The Art of Simple Living” - Shunmyo Masuno “All Systems Red” - Martha Wells “I know Why the Caged Bird Sings”- Maya Angelou ( audiobook ) Monthly Total: 9 Total Read: 83 Total with Extra Credit: 105 2020 GOAL ACCOMPLISHED!!!! 🎉 This month's reading list consisted of a lot of nonfiction and memoirs. I feel the need to break this down a little more. 6 of the 9 books read this month were in the nonfiction category. The three books that were fictional are: "Blueberry Muffin Murder," "The Darwin Affair," and "All Systems Red." As you can read in an earlier blog post, "Things We Didn't Talk About When I Was a Gir

"Things We Didn't Talk About When I Was A Girl"

  Jeannie Vanasco has created a work of genius with this memoir. "Things We Didn't Talk About When I Was a Girl" could be seen as a new direction for the #MeToo movement. Vanasco's memoir addresses her confusion regarding a sexual assault from high school by her best friend. Throughout the book it questions 'if good people can do bad things or if there are just bad people?' Vanasco went a step further than writing about her assault, she interviewed the man who raped her, whom she refers to as Mark in this book. The reader gets a full view of Jeannie's and Mark's interactions since Vanasco includes transcripts of their phone calls and the eventual visit. It is a harrowing and eye-opening experience. There is a real feel to the book that some sexual assault memoirs lack; it seems disjointed just because you get to see firsthand all of Vanasco's thoughts. Survivors will feel validated knowing they aren't alone with the way their brain can go after