Skip to main content

The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes



Sorry for the delay my lovely readers! I planned to read the entire book in one or two readings, but life had other plans for me this last week. Between yesterday and today I did read about 6 hours worth (with distractions) while playing catch up! As promised though I have provided a lovely, fairly short review.

The backstory of Coriolanuns Snow was intriguing. I think everyone that loved "The Hunger Games" will enjoy reading "The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes." There are a lot of Easter eggs for the later books that were super fun to look for. My favorite part was spotting all the different surnames that come up later in the series. Suzanne Collins does a wonderful job of building upon the character of Snow that we all love and hate. Without giving details or large spoilers I'll share a few more minor things we learn. We learn how the Hunger Games actually started then evolved and where Snow's affinity for using poison comes from. I'm afraid there isn't a lot more I can say without providing a lot of plot spoilers, but the read is well worth it for the backstory. Especially when you start seeing all the possible connections between Snow and Katniss.

I found the latter half of the novel a harder read. When we reached Part II the story picked up, but then it slowed down a lot. The plot at times became a little more predictable. I was able to binge all of Part II in two day, but I really struggled tonight finishing it. The first half of the book was an excellent read. Collins built the world pf Panem and the Capital a lot in that section.

"The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes" will make you want to re-read all of "The Hunger Games" to see what new discoveries you make. I know I will be. Who know? Maybe that will be an entirely different post if I can find additional Easter eggs.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hogwarts will always be there to welcome you home

Hogwarts will always be there to welcome you home. For years, I have used the Harry Potter series as an escape from reality. I have read them in every possible medium I can understand, seen all the movies, gone to conventions, and been to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter at Universal Orlando Florida. Thanks to COVID-19 JK Rowling released "The Philosopher's Stone," narrated by Stephen Fry. I've been meaning to listen to it, but I have been 'too busy.' Now, I'm wondering if the world just knew I would need something new (to me) related to Harry Potter now. I re-entered the magical world last night to help me escape and cope with reality. This photo is my friend Dan. He's been missing since October 21, 2019. There have been multiple searches and locating him has been a community wide effort. I was highly involved, joining searches, hanging flyers, and reaching out to any possible business to share his poster. This last Saturday May, 16, 2020...

2020 Can Go F*ck Itself! - Reading Year in Review

2020 was a year of reading and not socializing. You would think since I was stuck between home and work I would have done a better job updating this site, but things just failed. THAT is part of the reason this post is titled how it is. Honestly, 2020 was an AMAZING year for reading. I just failed at sharing about it. I finally reached my 100 books read goal for the Great Reading Challenge at the library. I am officially a Diamond Level reader. I even  managed to go above that mark and it was a total of 125 books read this year, including the extra credit points! I completed every challenge the library offered except two of them. I missed the November Reading Roulette Challenge and one challenge worth extra points, which was 'Read Two Classic Novels.' The other HUGE goal I hit was becoming my library's Reader of the Month. I was the Reader of the Month in November. They included almost my ENTIRE responses and a very large chunk of my suggested reading list. You can check ou...

August Reading Roulette and Books Read

August Reading List  “Blueberry Muffin Murder” - Joanne Fluke “Things We Didn’t Talk About When I was a Girl” - Jeannie Vanasco “The Body Keeps the Score” - Bessel van der Kolk “Letting Go: A Girl’s Guide to Breaking Free of Stress...” - Christine Fonseca “The Darwin Affair” - Tim Mason ( audiobook ) “The 5 Love Languages” - Gary Chapman  “The Art of Simple Living” - Shunmyo Masuno “All Systems Red” - Martha Wells “I know Why the Caged Bird Sings”- Maya Angelou ( audiobook ) Monthly Total: 9 Total Read: 83 Total with Extra Credit: 105 2020 GOAL ACCOMPLISHED!!!! 🎉 This month's reading list consisted of a lot of nonfiction and memoirs. I feel the need to break this down a little more. 6 of the 9 books read this month were in the nonfiction category. The three books that were fictional are: "Blueberry Muffin Murder," "The Darwin Affair," and "All Systems Red." As you can read in an earlier blog post, "Things We Didn't Talk About When I Was a Gir...