Skip to main content

Reading Roulette: January through April

Since I didn't start this blog until May, I thought a quick history of the reading roulette challenges were in order. If you don't know what I'm talking about go check out my first post about the Great Reading Challenge. In short, reading roulette is a random category chosen by a librarian monthly. If you read a book in that category during the month it was drawn it counts as two books read. The categories that have been drawn so far are:
  1. January: Read a book that is shorter than 200 Pages
  2. February: Read a Survival Story
  3. March: Read a book written by an artist more famous for another medium
  4. April: Read a book by an author who has published more than 20 books
  5. May: Read a book with a weather related word in the title

I have been able to complete this challenge every month so far and with a wide variety of books.

January's category was pre-chosen by the librarians because the Great Reading Challenge paperwork wasn't ready until part way into the month. Since, this was my kick-off book I decided to go with something really off the wall for myself. My first reading challenge book was "Adulthood is a Myth" by Sarah Andersen. If that name sounds familiar to you, it's because you've seen her comic characters all over social media. Here is an example of one of Andersen's work:
Pretty familiar, right? "Adulthood is a Myth" is a compilation of a bunch of Andersen's work. It was a nice light-hearted way to start the year. I enjoyed the accuracy and love seeing some aspects of my life in her works. If you want to see more of Sarah Andersen's work check out her website here. That is also where I borrowed this comic from!

February's category was read a survival story. I went a slightly different route with this category. I read "Know My Name: A Memoir" by Chanel Miller. I count it as a survival story. Chanel is the woman that was raped on Stanford's campus by Brock Turner. This book was her coming out story. It is the first time her real name was released. It IS a survival story. Through Miller's eyes you see the uphill battle a victim of sexual violence is subjected to. Not only did she have to fight for her story to be believed, she had to fight systems that wanted it brushed under the rug, and strangers attacking her for coming out. It takes bravery to step forward. Chanel showed her strength in this memoir. Due to the topic is very heavy in nature. I wouldn't suggest reading it unless you are in a good mental place. If you volunteer with a domestic/sexual abuse center I would also recommend this book because it shows the importance of that legal advocate, even if it is a small role. If you can't bring yourself to read the full book, I highly suggest at least looking up her victim impact statement online. You'll get a taste of the hurt and struggle, as well as a sample of her writing.

In March I read "Lean on Me" by Pat Simmons in order to fulfill the category 'read a book by an artist more famous for another medium.' If you don't know who Pat Simmons is, he is a founding member of the Doobie Brothers. In my opinion that fact right there is the only reason this book was published. The writing is lackluster and there isn't much depth to the story. Think of your most stereotypical rich guy meets stubborn helpless girl and they eventually fall in love story; that's your story. The most intriguing part is the main character, Tabitha's Great Aunt Tweet. Tweet has Alzheimer's. This book touches on the struggle of caring for a relative with Alzheimer's or dementia. Beyond that there is zero depth to this story and the poor writing doesn't do it any favors either. It's even the first book in a series! Sorry Pat, I doubt I'll be back for the sequels.

Read a book by an author that has published more than 20 books. This made April easy for me! I was already listening the October Daye series by Seanan McGuire, so I just listened to the next book "Chimes at Midnight." I started this series thanks to my library's Geek Out book club. We read "Rosemary and Rue" in 2019 and I just couldn't stop afterwards! "Chimes at Midnight" is the seventh novel in this series. In this book our main character October 'Toby' Daye is chasing down bad guys who are spreading a drug called goblin fruit, which can kill faerie changelings (like herself). This series has become one of my favorites. I listen to the audio book and it is read by Mary Robinette Kowal. She is another author on my never-ending 'To Be Read" List (TBR). I don't think they could have found a better narrator for this series. Kowal brought Toby to life! I don't think I would've had the same experience had I read the books. Toby is a sassy, smartass, but you feel it even more with Kowal reading. I can't wait for my library to re-open after COVID-19, so I can keep listening! I had to stop after this book since the rest aren't available digitally on audio through my library. This might be the series most driving me insane!
Side note: I got to meet Seanan McGuire at my library. She is one of the coolest people EVER! On a quick count she has over 45 fiction books published!


Lastly, is May. I haven't found a book with a weather word in the title that truly interests me yet. I can't wait to see what I manage to find and I will be back to update everyone on that once I have read it! I've found a few potential options, but none of them are screaming out to be read yet. Who knows, maybe something amazing will come across my library's page and inspire me!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes

Sorry for the delay my lovely readers! I planned to read the entire book in one or two readings, but life had other plans for me this last week. Between yesterday and today I did read about 6 hours worth (with distractions) while playing catch up! As promised though I have provided a lovely, fairly short review. The backstory of Coriolanuns Snow was intriguing. I think everyone that loved "The Hunger Games" will enjoy reading "The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes." There are a lot of Easter eggs for the later books that were super fun to look for. My favorite part was spotting all the different surnames that come up later in the series. Suzanne Collins does a wonderful job of building upon the character of Snow that we all love and hate. Without giving details or large spoilers I'll share a few more minor things we learn. We learn how the Hunger Games actually started then evolved and where Snow's affinity for using poison comes from. I'm afraid ther

August Reading Roulette and Books Read

August Reading List  “Blueberry Muffin Murder” - Joanne Fluke “Things We Didn’t Talk About When I was a Girl” - Jeannie Vanasco “The Body Keeps the Score” - Bessel van der Kolk “Letting Go: A Girl’s Guide to Breaking Free of Stress...” - Christine Fonseca “The Darwin Affair” - Tim Mason ( audiobook ) “The 5 Love Languages” - Gary Chapman  “The Art of Simple Living” - Shunmyo Masuno “All Systems Red” - Martha Wells “I know Why the Caged Bird Sings”- Maya Angelou ( audiobook ) Monthly Total: 9 Total Read: 83 Total with Extra Credit: 105 2020 GOAL ACCOMPLISHED!!!! 🎉 This month's reading list consisted of a lot of nonfiction and memoirs. I feel the need to break this down a little more. 6 of the 9 books read this month were in the nonfiction category. The three books that were fictional are: "Blueberry Muffin Murder," "The Darwin Affair," and "All Systems Red." As you can read in an earlier blog post, "Things We Didn't Talk About When I Was a Gir

"Things We Didn't Talk About When I Was A Girl"

  Jeannie Vanasco has created a work of genius with this memoir. "Things We Didn't Talk About When I Was a Girl" could be seen as a new direction for the #MeToo movement. Vanasco's memoir addresses her confusion regarding a sexual assault from high school by her best friend. Throughout the book it questions 'if good people can do bad things or if there are just bad people?' Vanasco went a step further than writing about her assault, she interviewed the man who raped her, whom she refers to as Mark in this book. The reader gets a full view of Jeannie's and Mark's interactions since Vanasco includes transcripts of their phone calls and the eventual visit. It is a harrowing and eye-opening experience. There is a real feel to the book that some sexual assault memoirs lack; it seems disjointed just because you get to see firsthand all of Vanasco's thoughts. Survivors will feel validated knowing they aren't alone with the way their brain can go after